Welcome to the Punxsutawney Area Hospital

Punxsutawney Area Hospital is a 49-bed, not-for-profit community hospital located in Punxsutawney, Jefferson County PA- approximately 90 minutes northeast of Pittsburgh. The Hospital serves the residents of Jefferson, Clearfield, and northern Indiana Counties. 

Punxsutawney Area Hospital is known for our commitment to providing exception care with a personal touch which extends to the family members and loved ones of our patients. As we recognize good health is total team effort. 

Directions to PAH

81 Hillcrest Drive, Punxsutawney PA 15767
814-938-1800

PAH is conveniently located approximately three miles north of Punxsutawney, just off of route 36, and 16 miles south of Brookville, PA. 

From downtown, simply travel north on Route 36 (which is also known as Mahoning Street). Look for the hospital sign on the right side of the road. It is approximately one mile beyond the Punxsutawney Country  Club. 

Proud Past, Solid Future

The community of Punxsutawney and surrounding areas has been blessed with local health care for more than 100 years. Founded in 1889 by Adrian Iselin, the original Adrian Hospital was established at the site of the coal mines in Adrian to care for sick and injured miners. As the community prospered and grew, the hospital opened its doors to treat all residents and became a general hospital. With this increased usage, soon the services offered at this site became inadequate and steps were taken to improve health care in the community.

In 1898, a “new” Adrian Hospital, including a Training School for Nurses, was built at the corner of Jenks and Park Avenues in downtown Punxsutawney. For nearly 75 years the Adrian Hospital served the community faithfully, seeing it through two World Wars, a Depression, and countless advancements in medical technology. Sadly, in the 1970s it became evident that the field of medicine had passed by this aging facility, so a group of impassioned residents began planning to build a new hospital.

A campaign was launched in 1973 with local citizens and businesses pledging their faith and money, and on November 7, 1975, ground was broken to begin the construction. Finally on July 25, 1977, the new facility named “Punxsutawney Area Hospital” opened its doors and continued the tradition of providing quality medical care for area residents.

In 1999 Punxsutawney Area Hospital launched its Capital Campaign, “Building Upon Success” and, with tremendous support from the hospital family as well as community members, raised more than 2.1 million dollars. This funding was used to construct a new 30,000-square-foot West Wing Unit which now houses the Rehabilitation, ICU, and Behavioral Health Departments in addition to several physician specialist offices. Phase II of this building project included the expansion and unification of the Short-Stay Surgery Unit for optimum patient convenience and comfort.

Punxsutawney Area Hospital continues to improve services, recruit skilled physicians, update technology, and focus on providing the best health care to people in the tri-county area. Garnering both state and national recognition, Punxsutawney Area Hospital is committed to upholding a 130-year tradition of meeting the health care needs of the people in Punxsutawney and surrounding communities.

Find A Provider SEARCH